Day 2 πŸͺ- Animals & Adaptations

Today during my travels I saw a camel.  This popular desert animal can go for days without food and water, and it does this by storing fat in its hump.  Another cool fact that I find interesting is that the camels can close their nostrils to keep out the constant blowing sand.  Another useful adaptation is that the camels have two rows of eyelashes, which helps them shield their eyes from the sun and blowing winds.  I also noticed how broad the hooves were of the camel that I saw, and when I later researched I learned that they are this way to prevent the camel from sinking in the sand. Cool, right?
Image result for camel in the desert
Camel in the Desert Biome 

My travel guide also pointed out to me an animal called “The Gila Monster.”  This creature is one of only two venomous lizards in the world.  They spend most of their life underground.  Similar to the camel, the lizard can go months between meals by living off the fat stored in its tail.

Image result for the gila monster in the desert
The Gila Monster 


On my second day of travel I also learned more about foxes.  They are able to survive in the desert because of their burrowing and nocturnal lifestyles.  This burrowing allows the foxes to escape the intense heat during the day.  A second cool adaptation of the foxes is that they have large ears that help to aid in the dissipation of excess body heat during these hot days.  They also had thick, sandy fur that helps keep  them warm during the cold nights in the desert.  This special fur that they have also reflects heat and helps during camouflage.

Image result for foxes in the desert
Foxes 
One last species that I researched after my travels was the Sand Grouse Bird.  These animals have special feathers on their bellies that are able to soak up small amounts of water.  Male Sand Grouse Birds will use these feathers like a sponge to carry water back to their nests.  They then share with their female counterparts and offspring.  Isn’t that interesting?

Image result for sand grouse bird in the desert



Overall, I had a great second day here in the desert.  I learned a lot about these different animals and some cool adaptations that they use to survive.  Hope you all learned something from this!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5 🌡-Plants & Adaptations

Works Cited

Day 3- Competition